- 12ounces field peas, such as lady peas, pink-eye or black-eye peas
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 4ounces country ham, chopped
- 1-- garlic clove, chopped
- 4ounces fresh mozarella cheese, cubed
- 1pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- -- fresh basil
- 1/4cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4cup extra virgin olive oil
- -- Coarse salt and pepper
Cook peas in boiling water 15 minutes or until tender-crisp. Heat oil in a pan, saute ham 5 minutes. Add peas and garlic, toss well. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Best served warm or room temperature.
Adapted from Frank Stitt's Southern Table, Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highland's Bar and Grill (Artisan, 2004).