Labor Day Lentils
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 minutes
- Cook 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound brown lentils, rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/3 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place lentils, garlic and bay leaves in a large saucepan. Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain. Discard bay leaves. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, carrots, feta, olives, onion and parsley to lentils Toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, salt and black pepper. Pour over lentil mixture and toss.
Recipe by James Killeen, Pasadena, Calif.