Labor Day Lentils
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 1/2pound brown lentils, rinsed
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2cup chopped tomato
- 1/2cup diced carrot
- 1/3cup crumbled reduced-fat feta
- 1/4cup thinly sliced kalamata olives
- 1/4cup diced red onion
- 1/4cup chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley
- 1/4cup red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place lentils, garlic and bay leaves in a large saucepan. Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain. Discard bay leaves. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, carrots, feta, olives, onion and parsley to lentils Toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, salt and black pepper. Pour over lentil mixture and toss.
Recipe by James Killeen, Pasadena, Calif.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 234
- Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 2mg
- Sodium 411mg
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 12g