Korean BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Yield 4 servings
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken
- 4 cups Napa cabbage, shredded
- 5 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, divided
- 4 teaspoons peeled and grated gingerroot, divided
- 5 -- green onions, tops and bottoms finely chopped, divided
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- -- Salt to taste
- 16 ounces barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 -- (16 ounce) package twin loaves of French bread
- -- Garnish: whole green onions with ends on, if desired
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove meat from chicken; shred into bite-size pieces, about 3 cups. Set aside.
In large bowl combine cabbage, 3 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, 2 teaspoons ginger, 1/3 of the green onions, granulated sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
In small pot, combine barbecue sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, remaining 2 teaspoons of the grated gingerroot, 2/3 of the green onions, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
In large bowl, combine chicken, cilantro, and barbecue mixture mixing well. Cut each loaf in half lengthwise. Place bottom halves of bread cut-side up on sheet of heavy-duty foil. Spoon chicken mixture equally over bread and top with halves of remaining bread. Wrap in foil and place on baking sheet. Bake in oven until heated through about 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and cut each sandwich into 4 pieces. Remove top bread piece and cover with 1/2 cup slaw. Replace tops of bread.
To serve, place chicken sandwiches on large platter. Serve with remaining barbecue sauce and slaw. Garnish platter with whole green onions, if desired.