Kitchen Sink Chopped Salad
- Yield 6 servings
This is a kitchen sink salad. As in, Step 1: Open vegetable bins and peer inside. Step 2: Save any depressing looking vegetables for soup and pull out the rest for this big-bowl salad.
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 1 red bell pepper (or orange, yellow, or green), stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced or shredded
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke bottoms, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup thinly sliced seedless or English cucumber
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1/2 cup chopped or slivered red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted black olives
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar, Swiss or mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Classic Vinaigrette, to taste, or a salad dressing of your choice
- Combine lettuce, bell pepper, carrots, artichokes, cucumber, tomatoes, onion and olives in a large serving bowl. Toss in the cheese and Classic Vinaigrette and toss again.
Reprinted with permission from Katie Workman’s The Mom 100 Cookbook (Workman Publishing, 2012).