King’s Arms Tavern Cream of Peanut Soup
- Yield 10 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 10 mins
So good and so rich, this soup is a Virginia classic.
This version of peanut soup is adapted from the King's Arms Tavern in Williamsburg. This soup is also good served ice cold.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts lower-sodium chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 2 cups creamy reduced-fat peanut butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups light cream
- Peanuts, chopped optional
- Melt butter in a skillet, add onion and celery and sauté until soft, but not brown. Stir in flour until well blended.
- Add chicken stock, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and add peanut butter, salt and cream, stirring to blend thoroughly. Do not boil. Serve garnished with peanuts.