Key Lime Squares
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Key Lime Filling:
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Key lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 12-by-8-inch baking dish.
- To prepare crust, chop almonds in a food processor until they resemble fine meal.
- Combine almonds, butter, flour, powdered sugar and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Blend well. Scrape mixture into baking dish and pat to a uniform thickness.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325F.
- To prepare filling, beat eggs. Add granulated sugar, salt, lime juice and orange rind. Mix well.
- Pour filling over crust and return to oven.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until filling is set.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Sift powdered sugar over top and cut into 12 squares.
Note: Bottled Key lime juice is available in most large grocery stores. If you can’t find it, feel free to substitute juice from regular (Persian) limes.
Recipe adapted with permission from Crazy Sista Cooking by Lucy Anne Buffett (Wimmer Cookbooks, 2007).