Key Lime Squares
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- 1/4cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/4teaspoon almond extract
- Key Lime Filling:
- 5 eggs
- 2cups granulated sugar
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup Key lime juice
- 1/2teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/4cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 12-by-8-inch baking dish.
- To prepare crust, chop almonds in a food processor until they resemble fine meal.
- Combine almonds, butter, flour, powdered sugar and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Blend well. Scrape mixture into baking dish and pat to a uniform thickness.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325F.
- To prepare filling, beat eggs. Add granulated sugar, salt, lime juice and orange rind. Mix well.
- Pour filling over crust and return to oven.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until filling is set.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Sift powdered sugar over top and cut into 12 squares.
Note: Bottled Key lime juice is available in most large grocery stores. If you can’t find it, feel free to substitute juice from regular (Persian) limes.
Recipe adapted with permission from Crazy Sista Cooking by Lucy Anne Buffett (Wimmer Cookbooks, 2007).