Key Lime Pie from the Beachwalk Cafe
- Yield: 8 servings
Beat the egg yolks until they're thick and pale yellow (about 8 minutes), then the condensed milk for 7 minutes.
- 2cups graham crackers crumbs
- 3tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/16teaspoon salt
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4large egg yolks, room temperature
- Finely grated rind of 1 lime
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Combine crumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in melted butter. Press mixture into a 9-inch glass pie plate. (Crust will be thick.) Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine egg yolks and lime rind in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on high speed 8 minutes. (The eggs should be pale yellow and fluffy.) Gradually add condensed milk and beat 7 minutes, or until fluffy. Reduce speed to low and slowly add lime juice, beating about 2 minutes. Pour filling into chilled pie shell.
- Bake about 12 minutes, until filling is set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream, if using, before serving.
Recipe courtesy of the Beach Walk Cafe in Destin, Fla.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 385
- Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 145mg
- Sodium 274mg
- Carbohydrate 53g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 37g
- Protein 7g