Keshi Yena (Chicken Stuffed Cheese)
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 25 mins
An unusual and delicious way to use leftover roast chicken.
This recipe is from the Avila Hotel, a lovely beach resort that was once the original governor's mansion.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 -- green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -- red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 16 slices thinly sliced deli-style Gouda cheese (about 10 ounces)
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add peppers and onions; saute 5 minutes. Add raisins, olives, chicken, pickles, tomato paste and salt. Cook 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Grease 4 (8-ounce) ramekins. Line ramekins with 12 slices of cheese. Fill with chicken mixture. Top with remaining slices of cheese. Tuck in any cheese that hangs over the edge.
- Place ramekins in a large pan. Add hot water halfway up the sides of ramekins; cover pan tightly with foil or a lid and place over medium-high heat. Cook 15 minutes. Serve immediately.