Kentucky Mint Julep
- Yield 1 servings
Sit on your front porch on a sultry summer afternoon and sip on one or two of these.
- Simple Syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Mint Julep
- 3 or 4 -- fresh mint leaves
- -- Crushed ice
- 1 ounce 100 proof Kentucky bourbon
- For the syrup, combine the sugar and boiling water in a small heatproof bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- For the mint julep, place 3 or 4 mint leaves in a julep glass and add crushed ice. Press down with a spoon to bruise the leaves. Add 1 ounce bourbon and 1 tablespoon of the Simple Syrup and mix well. Pack the glass with additional crushed ice and fill with additional bourbon. Garnish with additional mint leaves. Serves 1
- Note: Traditionally, this is served in a frosted silver mint julep cup.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Owensboro’s Home Again, Home Again (Junior League of Owensboro, Kentucky, 2004).