Kentucky Burgoo with Okra
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- 3pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 1teaspoon each: ground thyme and dried sage
- 1teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 (7-ounce) can tomato puree
- 2pounds fresh or frozen okra, sliced
- 1tablespoon beef base
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 to 4tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1cup sherry wine
- 1cup celery, diced
- 1cup red wine
- 1cup onion, diced
- 3pounds potatoes, diced
- 1 (12-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1tablespoon chicken base
- Slurry of cornstarch
- 2packages frozen mixed vegetables
- Brown stew meat with herbs and garlic in oil.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing well, and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Adjust seasoning and thicken with slurry of cornstarch, if necessary.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington, Inc.’s Entertaining with Bluegrass Winners (Lexington, Ky., 2008).