Kale Waldorf Salad
- Yield servings
This version of the classic American salad replaces iceberg lettuce with heart-healthy kale and the mayonnaise with a delicious oil-free blended dressing. The key is to cut the kale very finely to allow it to soften properly.
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in 1/2 cup water, drained, and rinsed
- 2 cups thinly sliced trimed kale, use only the leafy green part
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed (extra virgin) olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, divided
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced tart apple, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery, divided
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup walnuts, halves or pieces
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a bowl, toss together kale, olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp cider vinegar and 1 tsp salt. Set aside to soften for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- In a blender, combine 1⁄2 cup apple, 1⁄4 cup celery, water, soaked cashews and remaining lemon juice, vinegar and salt. Blend at high speed until smooth and creamy. Pour over softened kale. Add walnuts, raisins and remaining apple and celery and toss. Set aside to marinate for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.