Kale Salad with Apples and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Yield 10 servings
Sweet-sour vinaigrette tenderizes the kale; apples, red onion and freshly toasted pumpkin seeds add a nice crunch.
- 2 bunches kale, washed, dried and stemmed
- 2 honeycrisp apples
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup toasted fresh pumpkin seeds
- Sweet-Sour Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup grapeseed oil (or other neutral oil)
- Place lemon juice, cider vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and black pepper into a food processor fitted with the swivel blade. Begin processing, slowly pouring in the oil.
- Place kale leaves in stacks, and cut crosswise into ½-inch ribbons. Cut ribbons into bite-sized pieces.
- Core and dice the apples.
- Shave or thinly slice the red onion. (Use a mandoline, if possible.)
- Place kale, apples, onion and toasted pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
- Pour in about half the dressing and toss gently to coat kale well with vinaigrette.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and the Third Thursday Potluck Club