Grilled Halloumi Cheese and Kale Salad
- 6cups Lacinto or curly kale
- 1/2cup raw red cabbage
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1package Halloumi cheese (8 oz.)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Wash and dry kale and strip leaves off the stems, slice or cut using kitchen shears into small pieces (almost like ribbons). Add to a large salad bowl.
- Pour olive oil over the kale and massage with hands for approx. 5 minutes.
- Add in thinly sliced cabbage, lemon zest and juice from half the lemon.
- Top with a little pinch of sea salt and set aside to marinate.
- Fire up your grill, using a cast iron grill pan or actual grill on medium-high. No oil needed!
- While that’s heating up, slice your Halloumi if it’s not already – you want the slices to be pretty thick so they hold up nicely, I usually slice one 8oz. package into no more than 6 slices.
- Once the pan is nice and hot, add slices of Halloumi and just watch, it’ll take just a few minutes each side, just check the grill marks to make sure you like them before you flip.
- Some corners might melt more than others, but overall it should be fairly intact! Next you simply pull them off the grill with tongs and place along side your salad.
- Squeeze the rest of your lemon allover the cheese. Optionally add black pepper and any other toppings and serve!