Kale and Farro Soup
- Yield 6 servings
Kale teams up with farro and butternut squash in this healthy, hearty soup.
Either curly green or lacinato kale may be used for the soup. Remove tough ribs from leaves before chopping.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup farro
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus additional broth as necessary
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes (1/2 inch)
- 1 (15-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 (2-inch) chunk of rind of Parmigiano cheese
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 cups coarsely chopped green kale
- Grated Parmigiano cheese
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 1 minute. Add farro and stir to coat. Add chicken broth, squash, tomatoes, cheese chunk, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer until squash is tender and farro is cooked, about 30 minutes. (Add more broth to desired consistency if soup is too thick.) Taste for seasoning. Stir in kale leaves; simmer until kale brightens in color and just wilts, about one minute. Discard Parmigiano rind. Ladle into bowls and grate cheese over the soup. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Lynda Balslev