Kale and Farro Soup
- Yield 6 servings
Kale teams up with farro and butternut squash in this healthy, hearty soup.
Either curly green or lacinato kale may be used for the soup. Remove tough ribs from leaves before chopping.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup farro (wheat berries)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus additional broth as necessary
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes (1/2 inch)
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 (2-inch) piece of Parmigiano cheese rind
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 cups coarsely chopped green kale
- Grated Parmigiano cheese
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add farro and stir to coat. Add broth, squash, tomatoes, cheese rind, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer until squash is tender and farro is cooked, about 30 minutes. Stir in kale and simmer 2 minutes. Discard cheese rind. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle grated cheese on top.