Yellow Tomato Soup with Avocados and Cilantro Oil
- Yield 3 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 25 mins
Take advantage of the heirloom tomatoes you see at the farmer's market with this easy soup.
This fresh soup capitalizes on numerous varieties of sweet cherry tomatoes. We thought the combination of yellow and red tomatoes was pretty, but you can use any color you like. If you're not a cilantro fan, this works just as well with fresh basil.
- Cilantro Oil:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes (or any summer cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup red cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup black cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- To prepare cilantro oil, place cilantro in a food processor or blender; process, adding olive oil until mixture is smooth and pourable.
- To prepare soup, sauté onion in olive oil over a medium heat until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add yellow tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid has been removed from tomatoes, about 20 minutes. Place in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely.
- Place red and black tomatoes in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon cilantro oil. Toss to coat.
- Serve soup, chilled or hot, topped with tomato mixture, slices of avocado and a drizzle of cilantro oil.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.