Japanese Kale Salad with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Yield: 8 servings
- Tamari Dressing:
- 1/4cup tamari
- 2tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- Kale Salad:
- 1cup packed dry arame*
- 2tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 2teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps sliced (2 cups)
- 6 to 8cups chopped kale (2 bunches)
- 1cup grated carrots
- 1/2cup grated daikon radish
- 3tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- To make dressing: In a nonreactive bowl, combine all ingredients well; set aside.
- To make salad: Cover arame with 2 cups boiling water and let soak 30 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Meanwhile, heat oils over high heat in a small saute pan or skillet. Add shiitake mushrooms and saute until golden; set aside to cool.
- In a covered pot place a steamer basket over 1/4 cup water. Add kale and steam 3 minutes until bright green. (Alternatively you can steam it in microwave.) Drain and plunge kale into ice-water bath to stop cooking. Gently squeeze water out of kale and fluff it in a nonreactive bowl.
- Add arame, carrots, radish, mushrooms and sesame seeds. Just before serving, toss with dressing.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 93
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 546mg
- Carbohydrate 9g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 4g