- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 12 mins
This recipe is from Kimiye Hayashi, a second-generation Japanese (nisei) grandmother who lives in Bellevue, Wash. Partially freezing the beef makes it easier to slice.
- Sukiyaki Sauce:
- 1 1/2cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4cup sugar
- Hot Pot:
- 4ounces cellophane noodles or rice sticks
- -- Boiling water
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1pound beef (such as sirloin tip, top sirloin or tenderloin), sliced paper-thin across the grain, then cut into bite-size pieces
- 1large yellow onion, cut into halves, then cut into thin crescents
- 4ounces fresh shiitake, enoki or button mushrooms (cut larger mushrooms into bite-size pieces)
- 2medium carrots, diagonally sliced
- 2-- celery ribs, diagonally sliced
- 5-- green onions, diagonally sliced
- 1package (9-ounces) firm or cooked tofu, cut into 16 pieces
- To prepare Sukiyaki Sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare Hot Pot, place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over noodles. Let soak 1 minute. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Cut noodles in half and return to bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven until hot but not smoking. Add half the beef and cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef, adding more oil if needed.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring, about 4 minutes. Add green onions and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add Sukiyaki Sauce, noodles, beef and tofu. Mix well and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Cook until all ingredients are thoroughly heated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Pat Tanumihardja'sThe Asian Grandmothers Cookbook (Sasquatch Books, 2009). For more information about The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook, go to theasiangrandmotherscookbook.wordpress.com.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 310
- Glycemic Load 6
- Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 4.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 40mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Potassium 460mg
- Carbohydrate 34g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 11g
- Protein 21g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 70%
- Vitamin C 10%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 15%