- Yield 6 servings
A traditional New Orleans favorite.
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -- bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup quick grits
- 3 -- fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup ground ham
- -- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Heat fat in a skillet. Gradually add flour and cook and stir until lightly browned. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook 5 minutes. Cook grits according to package directions. Add grits, tomato, and ham to skillet. Sprinkle with bacon and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of New Orleans’ Jambalaya (The Junior League of New Orleans, La., 1983).d