- 2 cut up chickens
- 1-1/2cup Jerk Marinade
- Jerk Marinade
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2cup finely chopped scallions
- 2teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1teaspoon ground pimento (allspice)
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 hot pepper, finely ground
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon cooking oil
- 1tablespoon cider or white vinegar
blog comments powered by
- Rub the chicken with Jerk Marinade and place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Arrange chicken on prepared grill*, skin side down. Baste frequently** and turn chicken about every 10 minutes. Over a slow fire (which is preferred), the chicken will cook in approximately 1-1/2 hours. Over a hotter grill, it will take about 40 minutes. Chicken is done when the flesh feels firm and juices run clear when pricked with a fork. Makes 8 Servings.
- Jerk Marinade:Mix together all ingredients in blender or food processor, processing to combine well. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
*For authentic Jamaican flavor, allspice (pimento) wood is added to the coals. Apple wood or hickory may be substituted. Coals should be white when chicken is placed on grill
**The National Chicken Council recommends dividing the marinade, using a portion for marinating chicken and reserving a portion for basting.