Jalapeno Potatoes au Gratin
- Yield 8 servings
Jalapenos add a little heat to this dish.
- 8 -- unpeeled potatoes
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup each chopped red and green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 -- jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces Pepper Havarti cheese, cubed
- 6 ounces White Double Gloucester cheese, cubed
- 2 ounces pimento, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine the potatoes with enough water to cover in the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil just until tender; drain. Peel and slice. Layer the potatoes in a buttered 3-quart baking dish, sprinkling with salt and black pepper between each layer. Saute the red pepper, green pepper, green onions, jalapeno and 1/2 teaspoon garlic in 1/4 cup of the butter in a saucepan until the vegetables are tender; drain. Heat the remaining 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan until melted. Add the flour and mix well. Cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in the milk and cheeses. Cook over medium heat until the cheese melts, stirring constantly. Add the pepper mixture, pimento, garlic powder and white pepper and mix well. Pour over the potatoes. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of North Harris and South Montgomery Counties, Inc.’s Texas Ties(Spring, Tx., 1997).