Jalapeno Cheese Grits
- Yield 6 servings
Spice up your cheese grits with a little jalapeno!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno chiles
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with pepper
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, jalapeno chiles and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until the bell peppers are tender.
- Combine the chicken stock and cream in a large saucepan. Add the grits in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Whisk for 6 minutes or until the grits are cooked and the mixture has thickened.
- Add the bell pepper mixture and cheese. Cook until the cheese melts, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Leage of Lafayette, Inc., Something to Talk About, Occasions We Celebrate in South Louisiana (the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc., 2005)