Jade Garden Soup
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This soup can be served hot or cold.
- 6 cups strained chicken stock, or 5 (10 3/4-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -- carrot, sliced
- 2 -- ribs celery, sliced
- 1/3 cup rice
- 1 1/3 cups spinach, packed down
- 1 1/3 cups lettuce, packed down
- 1 1/3 cups parsley, packed down
- -- Salt
- -- Pepper
- -- Accent
- -- Sour cream, paprika and dill weed for garnish
- Cook stock, onion, carrot, celery and rice for 35 minutes, covered, or until rice is soft. Place spinach, lettuce and parsley in saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a quick boil. Drain immediately. Add to soup. Adjust seasonings. Mix in blender until smooth. May be thinned with more broth. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish as desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Les Passees’ Well Seasoned A Southern Classic (Les Passees, Inc., Memphis, Tn., 1982).