Jade Garden Soup
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 6cups strained chicken stock, or 5 (10 3/4-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1-- carrot, sliced
- 2-- ribs celery, sliced
- 1/3cup rice
- 1 1/3cups spinach, packed down
- 1 1/3cups lettuce, packed down
- 1 1/3cups parsley, packed down
- -- Salt
- -- Pepper
- -- Accent
- -- Sour cream, paprika and dill weed for garnish
- Cook stock, onion, carrot, celery and rice for 35 minutes, covered, or until rice is soft. Place spinach, lettuce and parsley in saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a quick boil. Drain immediately. Add to soup. Adjust seasonings. Mix in blender until smooth. May be thinned with more broth. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish as desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Les Passees’ Well Seasoned A Southern Classic (Les Passees, Inc., Memphis, Tn., 1982).