Italian Vegetable Soup
- Yield 8 servings
This minestrone-style soup -- hearty, healthy, satisfying and loaded with veggies and pasta -- makes a delicious one-pot meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup small zucchini chunks
- 2 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup peeled carrots, cut in small chunks or baby carrots
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can white navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup small penne pasta
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick pot and sauté green pepper, onion, and celery for 5 minutes before adding zucchini, prosciutto, garlic and carrots; saute an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and beans, then bring to a boil.
- Toss in pasta and cook for 6-8 minutes. Add basil and spinach. Spinach should be wilted.
- Season to taste and garnish with parmesan cheese.