Italian-Style Pot Roast
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
Everyone loves a pot roast and your family will especially enjoy this flavorful one.
- 4 to 5 pounds round roast
- 2 cups canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt added whole tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 onions quartered
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 11 tablespoons light stick margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place roast in a large pot or Dutch oven. Pour in beef broth and wine. Add tomato paste and stir. Add tomatoes with their juice. Blend in garlic, basil, oregano and bay leaves. Cover and cook in the oven 1 1/2 hours. Turn meat over and add carrots, onions and mushrooms. Cover and continue cooking 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Transfer meat to a carving board.
- Mash margarine and flour together to form a paste. Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat and bring liquid to a boil. Whisk in the paste to thicken sauce. Slice meat against grain. Serve with the vegetables and sauce, from which the bay leaves have been removed and discarded.