Italian-Style Pot Roast
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 4 to 5pounds round roast
- 2cups canned beef broth
- 1/2cup Burgundy wine
- 3tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt added whole tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1tablespoon dried basil
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 onions quartered
- 1pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 11tablespoons light stick margarine
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place roast in a large pot or Dutch oven. Pour in beef broth and wine. Add tomato paste and stir. Add tomatoes with their juice. Blend in garlic, basil, oregano and bay leaves. Cover and cook in the oven 1 1/2 hours. Turn meat over and add carrots, onions and mushrooms. Cover and continue cooking 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Transfer meat to a carving board.
- Mash margarine and flour together to form a paste. Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat and bring liquid to a boil. Whisk in the paste to thicken sauce. Slice meat against grain. Serve with the vegetables and sauce, from which the bay leaves have been removed and discarded.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 407
- Fat 13.1g
- Saturated Fat 4.5g
- Cholesterol 158mg
- Sodium 388mg