Italian-Style Baked Beans
- Yield 12 to 14 servings
Sausage, tomato paste, and brown sugar flavor a mixture of garbanzo, baked, kidney, and great Northern beans
"This recipe has been in our family for many years. It is a dish that can be served with almost any meat. We like it as a side dish when grilling outside."
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage
- 6 (16-ounce) cans beans (mixture of garbanzo,
- baked, kidney and great Northern)
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 large green peppers, diced
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cut sausage into bite-size pieces; fry, drain off fat. Scrape sausage into a slow cooker.
- Drain beans and add to slow cooker. Add onion, green pepper and tomato paste; stir. Add bay leaves, mustard, brown sugar, oregano and garlic salt; stir. Cook on high until mixture bubbles, then set slow cooker on low heat and cook 6 to 8 hours. If there is too much liquid, spoon it off before serving.
Gail Van Osdell, St. Charles, Ill.