Italian Strawberry Sponge Cake
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 35-40 minutes
- Butter, for greasing
- 3/4cup plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 3/4cups strawberries, hulled and quartered if large
- 2tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a deep 8-inch cake pan, line the base with baking (parchment) paper.
- Put the egg yolks and sugar into a bowl and beat until pale and frothy. In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites into firm peaks, then gently fold them into the sugar mixture in batches. Sift both the flours over the mixture and gradually fold the flours into the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the sponge is golden and springy to the touch. Set aside to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Put 3 tablespoons water into a small saucepan, add the jam and melt over a low heat to form a syrup. Allow to cool slightly.
- Put the strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar and lemon zest. Arrange them on top of the sponge cake, then generously drizzle over the syrup.
Recipe from Puglia from the Silver Spoon Collection (Phaidon, 2015).