- Yield 42 pieces
These low-fat squares are a variation of an Italian frittata, which is a type of omelet.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 3 large egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the onion, red pepper, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the sauteed vegetables into a large bowl and add the chopped artichokes, egg whites, eggs, oregano, basil, cayenne, bread crumbs, Cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese, mixing with a spoon until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-quart oblong dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is set and the top is light brown.