Italian Sausage-Stuffed Squash
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 acorn squash
- 4tablespoons margarine, softened
- 4tablespoons brown sugar
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4link Italian poultry sausage, crumbled
- Cut the acorn squash lengthwise into halves; discard the seeds.
- Spread each half with 1/2 tablespoon of the margarine; sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Place in a baking dish or individual baking dishes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until the squash pulp is tender enough to be scooped out.
- Saute the onion and bell peppers while the squash bakes in the remaining 2 tablespoons of margarine in a skillet for 5 to 10 minutes or until the onion is tender. Remove the onion mixture with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Brown the sausage in the pan drippings in the skillet; skim off fat. Stir in the onion mixture.
- Scoop the squash pulp into the sausage mixture, being careful to leave the squash shells intact. Stuff each squash shell with 1/4 of the sausage mixture. Place in a baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes longer.
NOTE: May be prepared in advance, stored in the refrigerator, and reheated for the last 15 minutes just before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Buffalo, Great Lake Effects, Buffalo Beyond Winter and Wings (The Junior League of Buffalo, Inc., 1997).