Italian Sausage Cheddar Strata
- Yield: 10 servings
"'I nicknamed this casserole 'lazy lasagna' because it uses leftover bread instead of cooked noodles. This saves time, and I have one less pot to wash. I can heat the sauce in a microwave-safe serving dish-another time and clean-up saver. And best of all, everyone raves about it!"
- 10slices day-old bread
- 1pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1medium onion, diced
- 1cup sliced mushrooms
- 1cup red pepper, diced
- 8ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3cups whole milk
- 1tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2cups prepared spaghetti sauce, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch pan.
- Trim crusts from bread and cube.
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet; saute with onion, mushrooms and pepper. Place half the bread cubes in prepared pan, top with half the sausage mixture and half the cheese; repeat layers. In a medium bowl whisk eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, garlic and salt; pour over the filled casserole. Let stand 15 minutes so bread can soak up egg mixture. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes, cut into squares and serve drizzled with warm spaghetti sauce.
Recipe by Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho