Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4-- links sweet Italian sausage
- -- Water, as needed
- 1/4cup olive oil, or as needed
- 4medium bell peppers, 2 green and 2 yellow, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1small red or white onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1teaspoon minced garlic, or 2 cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12small cherry tomatoes, rinsed and dried
- 1/2cup chicken broth
- 1teaspoon red pepper flakes
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Perforate the sausage all over with a fork. Put sausages in a microwabeable casserole dish, cover with water and cook for about 10 minutes on high power. Remove from microwave and drain all liquid. Cut sausage on the diagonal into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add sausage, garlic, and cherry tomaotes and fry another 3 minutes, then add chicken broth and red pepper flakes, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until no pink remains in sausage. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish or over hot pasta.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Just for Mom’s Foundations’ Down Home Delicious (Peggy Touchtone Sholly, 2007).