Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Yield 4 servings
A robust combination of rich flavors that satisfy and comfort.
- 4 -- links sweet Italian sausage
- -- Water, as needed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, or as needed
- 4 medium bell peppers, 2 green and 2 yellow, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 small red or white onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, or 2 cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 small cherry tomatoes, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Perforate the sausage all over with a fork. Put sausages in a microwabeable casserole dish, cover with water and cook for about 10 minutes on high power. Remove from microwave and drain all liquid. Cut sausage on the diagonal into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add sausage, garlic, and cherry tomaotes and fry another 3 minutes, then add chicken broth and red pepper flakes, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until no pink remains in sausage. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish or over hot pasta.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Just for Mom’s Foundations’ Down Home Delicious (Peggy Touchtone Sholly, 2007).