Italian Rice with Spring Vegetables
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
This is a nice low-fat alternative to pasta primavera.
If you can find orzo, a rice shaped pasta, in your grocery store, use it instead of rice.
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 4 asparagus spears, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Steam or cook zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms and broccoli in a small amount of boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and add onion, sauteing over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add rice to pan and stir 2 minutes. Add wine and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Add tomato and cooked vegetables to rice, stirring well. Toss in cheese and serve immediately.