Italian Potato and Onion Soup
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
Potatoes and onions star in this delicious comforting soup.
- 2 pounds boiling potatoes, pared, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 1 -- (13-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Put potatoes in large kettle with just enough water to cover. Bring to boiling. Lower heat; cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Mash potatoes with their liquid through a food mill. Set aside. Saute onion in oil and butter until golden. Add carrot and celery; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook; vegetables should remain crunchy. Add milk, broth, cheese, salt and potatoes. Bring to boil; lower heat and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chopped parsley. Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese on the side. A food processor simplifies preparation.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Chicago’s Soupcon II (Chicago, Illinois, 1982).