- Yield 4 servings
Peppers and pasta make a great side dish for chicken or beef.
"This is a special recipe. My husband's family came from Italy, and this recipe was a change from rice. It makes a delicious meal with corn and applesauce."
- 4 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 green or red peppers
- 1/2 pound sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, depending on taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook macaroni in three cups boiling salted water. Boil rapidly, stirring constantly for two minutes. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Wash peppers and cut in half. Parboil in salted water 10 minutes.
- Rinse macaroni with warm water and drain well.
- Brown sausage in heavy skillet. Drain off excess fat. Add onions and brown lightly. Stir in flour and salt. Add tomato juice, Italian seasoning, and sugar and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Fold in macaroni.
- Fill peppers with mixture. Pour remaining mixture in one-quart casserole, and arrange filled peppers on top.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese and butter and mix lightly. Sprinkle over peppers.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
– Lorraine Ellingson, Saint David, Ariz.