Italian Meatballs with California Raisins
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 120 mins
Combination of meats with California raisins, red wine and seasonings make great meatballs.
- 1/2 cup California raisins
- 1/2 cup sweet red wine, e.g., Marsala or grape juice
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped fine
- 1 large egg
- -- Olive oil; for frying
- 1 -- (25-ounce) jar prepared or homemade tomato sauce
- Measure raisins into small bowl, pour 1 cup wine over. Set aside and let soak for 1 hour.
- Combine beef, pork and veal in a large bowl and mix well. Add bread crumbs, basil, mint, salt and pepper. Stir in garlic, onion and egg. Then, add raisins and mix well. Divide and shape into 24 meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in ovenproof skillet; brown meatballs on all sides. Add tomato sauce; heat to boiling and simmer 2 to 3 hours or bake. Serve piping hot over hot pasta.
Notes: May also be shaped into loaf with sauce spooned on top and baked, covered, at 325F for 1 1/2 hours till temperature at center reaches 160F.