Italian Green Bean Roasted Olive and Potato Casserole
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- 1.5pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled in 1/4inch slices
- 1can California Black Ripe olives, 2/3 cup whole, 1/3 cup diced, 1 cup reserved juice
- 3-4tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon white balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons orange juice
- 4-5sprigs fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1pound green beans (fresh or frozen-thawed)
- 1/2large onion, diced
- 2cloves roasted garlic, chopped
- 1slice thick smoked bacon
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3tablespoons flour
- 2cups 2% milk
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6-8ounces shredded cooked chicken
- -- kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Lightly oil the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
2. If using fresh green beans, blanch them in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, drain, and place in cool water bath.
Toss the sliced potatoes and ½ cup whole olives in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, 1/2 cup olive juice and orange juice. Place in the baking dish and sprinkle with the fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes or until slightly browned.
While the potatoes and olives are roasting, prepare the rest of the recipe.
3. Bechamel sauce: In a small sauce pan heat the milk over med low heat. At the same time, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over med low heat. Add the flour to the melted butter and whisk until combined. Turn off heat and add 1/4c of the warmed milk stirring to combine. Gradually add the rest of the milk, 1/4t salt, and cayenne pepper.
4. In a sauté pan, add the bacon and cook over medium heat until the fat is rendered. Add the onion, garlic, 1/3 cup diced olives, and 1/2 cup olive juice to the bacon.
5. Return the béchamel sauce to low heat. Saute the onion mixture on medium heat.
Both sauce and onions will be ready after the 10 minutes.
6. Once the potatoes and olives are roasted, drain the green beans and add to the dish. Add the onion mixture and chicken. Gently toss all the ingredients together and top with béchamel sauce and grated cheese. Sprinkle cracked fresh pepper over the top.
Bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm.