Italian Fried Artichokes
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Crisp and delicious, these artichokes are a great change of pace.
Serve this dish with a lemon dipping sauce or lemon mayonnaise.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Handful of peppercorns
- 3 large artichokes (about 1 pound each)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot with lemon juice, bay leaves, sea salt and peppercorns. Drop in artichokes. If necessary, add more water to just cover them. Cook about 15 minutes or until tender but still a little firm to the touch when pierced with a fork at the stem. Remove artichokes with cooking tongs and let them cool slightly.
- Remove outer leaves from artichoke, cut off ¼ inch from stem and tip ends, then cut each heart into 4 vertical pieces. Scoop out choke and feathery fibers embedded in center and refrigerate heart.
- Fill a wok or frying pan with about 3 inches of oil and heat to 365F to 375F. Deep-fry 2 to 3 artichoke pieces at a time for 3 to 5 minutes; they will puff slightly as they cook. Serve hot, sprinkled with additional sea salt.
Reprinted with permission from Joan Nathan’s New American Cooking.