Italian Eggplant, Meat, and Rice
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 2medium eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 4ounces light bulk sausage
- 1/2pound ground sirloin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried basil, divided
- 1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 3cups cooked rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 3/4cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute eggplant, zucchini, garlic, sausage and meat over medium heat until meat is done and vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Add salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon basil, 1 tablespoon oregano and cooked rice, tossing well.
- Spread mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine tomato sauce with remaining basil and oregano and spread over eggplant-rice mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella and bake, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes, or until hot and the cheese is melted.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 269
- Fat 8.9g
- Saturated Fat 4.3g
- Cholesterol 43mg
- Sodium 296mg
- Carbohydrate 29.1g
- Protein 18.4