Italian Eggplant, Meat, and Rice
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This hearty dish topped with tomato sauce and cheese is kind of like a rice dressing--most people don't even realize it has eggplant.
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces light bulk sausage
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried basil, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute eggplant, zucchini, garlic, sausage and meat over medium heat until meat is done and vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Add salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon basil, 1 tablespoon oregano and cooked rice, tossing well.
- Spread mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine tomato sauce with remaining basil and oregano and spread over eggplant-rice mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella and bake, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes, or until hot and the cheese is melted.