Italian Brunch Casserole
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1 1/4pounds mild or hot Italian turkey sausage,
- casings removed
- 1large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 2cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced no-salt-added tomatoes
- with garlic, basil and oregano, drained
- 3cups fat-free seasoned croutons
- 5 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 2cups shredded part skim, low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Crumble sausage and place in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until no longer pink, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add bell pepper and onion; cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, garlic and oregano; cook until mushrooms are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in croutons; mix well. Spread sausage mixture in pan.
- Combine egg whites, eggs, milk and black pepper. Whisk until well blended and pour evenly over sausage mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Serves 10.
— Carol Ann McClelland, Somers, Conn.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 240
- Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 85mg
- Sodium 650mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 20g