Italian Beef and Bread Salad
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Leftovers of this sturdy salad make good brown-bag lunches.
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow, orange or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 12 basil leaves, shredded
- 1 large round loaf peasant bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups) and lightly toasted
- Prepare grill.
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill 10 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
- Combine onion, garlic, lemon rind, vinegar, remaining salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add oil in a stream, whisking constantly until well combined. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, olives and basil.
- Cut steak into thin slices. Add to tomato mixture.
- Add bread cubes 30 to 45 minutes before serving, tossing to coat. Let stand at room temperature. Serves 8.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.