- Yield: 4 servings
Bring the taste of the islands home with these tropical skewers!
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 1/2cup prepared mango chutney, chopped if coarse
- 1/2cup bottled teriyaki sauce
- 2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch cubes
- 18medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1medium yellow onion, peeled with both ends trimmed off and cut into six wedges approximately 1/2-inch wide
- 1medium red onion, peeled with both ends trimmed off and cut into six wedges approximately 1/2-inch wide
- 2 firm-ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and cut into large cubes
- 1large red or green bell pepper, halved, trimmed, seeded and cubed
- Ginger Mango Sauce:
- Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 3tablespoons water
- 2teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- For marinade, combine oil, chutney, teriyaki sauce andvinegar. Set aside half to use for basting. Place chicken and shrimp in wide, shallow glass dish or pan. Pour remaining marinade mixture over, then cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Soak 18 large bamboo skewers (about 12 inches long) in water at least 1 hour before using.
- Separate the onion wedges into double layers. To prepare kabobs, alternate chicken, onions, mango, green or red pepper, and shrimp (or you can make separate skewers of shrimp and chicken) onto soaked skewers, keeping them near the pointed end of each skewer, leaving a long “handle” of skewer open. Coat the grill grate with nonstick cooking spray. Place skewers over medium coals for 15 to 20 minutes. Brush often with remaining marinade mixture and turn skewers until cooked through.
- Serve with Ginger Mango Dipping Sauce: Combine mango, frozen orange juice concentrate, water and ginger in electric blender. Puree until smooth and serve with skewers.
Recipe courtesy of the National Mango Board
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 240
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 310mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 26g
- Protein 18g