Island French Toast
- Yield 6 servings
Bananas and coconut make this french toast a real breakfast treat.
- 1 -- (14-ounce) can sweetened coconut milk
- 1 -- French baguette
- 6 -- eggs
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 -- bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Pour the sweetened coconut milk into a small saucepan. Warm over low heat, stirring occasionally. Cut the bread into 18 equal slices. Beat the eggs, milk, sugar, coconut extract and vanilla together in a large bowl. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and arrange on a well greased, insulated baking sheet. Pour any remaining egg mixture over the slices and let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the flaked coconut. Bake at 400F for 7 minutes, turn. Top with bananas and remaining flaked coconut. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes longer or until the toast and coconut are light brown but still slightly soft. Arrange 3 slices toast on each serving plate. Top with the warm coconut milk and macadamia nuts. Garnish with fresh raspberries and a dollop of sweetened whipped cream. You may substitute maple syrup for the sweetened coconut milk.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious Entertains (Scrumptious, Inc., Decatur, Alabama, 2002).