Iron Skillet Roasted Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1/4pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve drippings)
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2cup thinly sliced onion
- 1can (14-oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2cans (15-oz) Great Northern beans, drained
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the bacon drippings in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Dry the chicken pieces with a paper towel, and season with 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Brown the chicken in the bacon drippings, turning once, until the skin is golden brown. Remove the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat and stir in the onions. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, scraping up any brown bits. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook uncovered for about 4 minutes or until the juices are thickened. Add the reserved bacon and the beans. Top with the browned chicken pieces, skin side up. Place skillet in the oven and bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from Y’all Come Over. Copyright 2013 by Nelson Books.