Irish Hot Cocolate
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
During the holidays, add a candy cane stirrer to each mug.
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/4 c cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup Bailey's Irish cream, or to taste
- Whipped Cream
- Shaved bittersweet chocolate
- Whisk the baking cocoa, sugar, vanilla, water and salt together in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Cook until the baking cocoa is dissolved and the mixture is a smooth paste, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and half-and-half gradually. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the Bailey’s Irish cream. Pour into mugs. Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Leage of Chicago, Peeling the Wild Onion, a Collection of Chicago Culinary Culture (the Junior League of Chicago, 2008)