Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Caramelized Pears
- Yield: 4 servings
- 5tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 firm ripe pear, cored and cut into 16 slices
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 8ounces Dubliner cheese, cut into 16 slices
- 8 slices soft sourdough sandwich bread
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the pears in a bowl with sugar and add to pan. Cook until tender and golden, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
- Return pan to heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate covered with paper towel and drain. Discard fat from skillet and wipe out.
- To assemble, place 4 slices of bread on a work surface. Layer each with 1 slice of cheese, 4 pear slices, 2 bacon slices, 1 more slice of cheese, and remaining slices of bread. Spread outside of each sandwich with remaining butter.
- Heat pan over medium heat until hot. Add 2 of the sandwiches, cover the skillet, and cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn sandwiches, cover and cook until golden and the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes longer. Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches. (Can be made in a panini maker if you like.)
—Recipe by David Bonom.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 606
- Fat 40g
- Cholesterol 106mg
- Sodium 1217mg
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 6g
- Protein 26g