Irene’s Eggplant Casserole
- Yield 8-12 servings
- 3 large eggplants
- 2 large vidalia onions, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cans hot Rotel, drained
- 1/2 stick butter or margerine
- 3 medium eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 10-15 whole whole wheat Ritz crackers, crumbled
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- 1 dash cayenne pepper, to taste
- Peel the eggplants and dice. Boil for 15-20 minutes (until soft), drain and mash out excess water. Mix all ingredients except eggs. After everything is mixed well, temper the eggs into the mixture.
- Pour into a 9×12 casserole dish (spray with Pam) and bake at 350 for 45 minutes, until bubbly.
I sometimes add a few more cracker crumbs to the top of the dish before baking for extra crunch.