Indonesian Tamarind Chicken
- Yield: servings
- Ingredients :
- 4pounds small CHICKEN THIGHS (bone in, skin on, usually 10 thighs)
- 1/4cup kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1/4cup sambal oelek/ Asian chili garlic paste
- 1/4cup sweetened concentrated tamarind juice (e.g. Delicia available at Fiesta)
- 1tablespoon grated garlic
- 8large fresh kaffir lime leaves*, cut up
- 2tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
- 2teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Other ingredients:
- -- banana leaves or green curly lettuce
- -- leftover marinade from chicken
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- Ingredients for Coconut Rice:
- 13 1/2ounces can coconut milk
- 1cup water
- 1teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2cups long grain rice
- 4large double Kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1cup diced red bell pepper
Cut off visible fat from chicken. Make a slash on right and left side of bone to facilitate marinading and cooking.
Mix all other ingredients. Mix chicken thighs thoroughly with this marinade and brush some of marinade underneath skin of chicken. Let stand 1 hour.
Heat oven to 450 F . Place nonstick foil in a baking pan, drain chicken and place chicken skin side up in oven. Spray with nonstick spray. Roast for about 15 minutes, flip chicken and roast another 10 minutes, then flip again so skin side is up. Roast 5 more minutes or until juices run clear and skin crisps up. If desired place under broiler for 1-2 minutes to crisp up skin, but be careful not to burn.
Line a serving plate with banana or lettuce leaves. Place rice and chicken on top. Spoon some sauce over chicken and serve remaining sauce in a little bowl. Serve hot.
To make sauce:
Place reserved marinade from chicken, cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan.. Cook over medium heat until sauce thickens. When there are any drippings from baking pan, add to pan also. Adjust seasonings to taste since amount of left over marinade varies. Strain sauce.
To make Coconut Rice:
In a nonstick Dutch oven combine all ingredients for rice except peppers..Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and cook 20 minutes. Stir in peppers. Cook 10 more minutes or until rice is tender. Remove kaffir lime leaf.
* If Kaffir lime leaves are not available, use grated zest from 2 limes.
Yields: 4-6 servings