Indonesian Chicken Pizza
- Yield servings
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- -- Kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- -- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 10 ounces refrigerated (or homemade) pizza dough
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella (or part skim), shredded
- 1/4 cup julienned red pepper
- 1/4 cup julienned carrot
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- -- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- -- Lime slices/wedges, for garnish
Place pizza stone on bottom shelf of oven. Preheat oven to 550F (or to 500F).
To make Cilantro Peanut Pesto, in the bowl of a food processor, combine cilantro, peanuts, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 3 tablespoons oil; puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Season chicken with cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook about 4 minutes, stirring occassionally (the chicken will not be fully cooked at this point; it will continue cooking on the pizza)..
Lightly sprinkle pizza peel or large cutting board with cornmeal. Stretch pizza dough into a 11" round (will be very thin).
Spread Cilantro Peanut Pesto on top of pizza. Top with mozzarella cheese. Top with red pepper, carrots, and chicken. Very lightly sprinkle salt on the rim of the crust.
Shake peel or cutting board to ensure the pizza will be able to slide off (if it seems stuck, pick up the pizza in various places and sprinkle more cornmeal underneath until it becomes loose). Sprinkle pizza stone with cornmeal; slide pizza onto pizza stone. Bake until crust is crispy and golden brown (approximately 7-10 minutes). Remove pizza from oven.
Sprinkle with toasted coconut, lime juice, and mint. Using a pizza cutter, slice into 8 pieces. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime.
(If a pizza stone is unavailable, then use this alternate method of preparation: preheat oven to 450F, spray large baking sheet with cooking spray, sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal, stretch dough into about an 11" round on baking sheet, parbake the crust for 5 minutes, let cool for 5-10 minutes, remove crust from baking sheet, add toppings, place pizza back in the oven directly on the center rack, and bake for 7 minutes or until crust is golden brown).
Makes 4 appetizer servings.