Indian Spiced Fresh Tomato Soup
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
This simple and unique soup can be prepared in your slow cooker with a few fresh, vegetarian ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinamon
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- In a large sauté pan, melt the ghee over medium heat and sauté the onion for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the ginger and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the mixture to a 7-quart slow cooker and add the tomatoes, cumin, mustard seed, and cinnamon. Cover and cook on LOW for about 4 hours longer.
- Just before serving, use a garlic press to mince the garlic into the soup, and add the salt to taste. Using a handheld immersion blender, puree the soup to the desired texture. I like to leave some texture.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each with cilantro, coconut, and a sprinkling of chile.
From 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley/Andrews McMeel Publishing