Tandoori Chicken with Summer Chutney
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8-- chicken drumsticks
- 1/4cup plain yogurt
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2teaspoons minced garlic
- 2teaspoons minced ginger
- 1tablespoon paprika
- 1tablespoon Garam Masala (such as McCormick's)
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- For Mint Chutney:
- 1/2cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2teaspoons honey
- 1/2teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Mango Kachumbar:
- 1large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1large ripe tomato, diced
- 1-- red jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2-- of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2-- of an English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
With a sharp knife make 3 or 4 deep slashes on each drumstick and place in sealable plastic bag.
In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, oil, garlic, ginger, paprika, Garam Masala, cumin, lemon zest and salt. Pour mixture over chicken and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Remove drumsticks from marinade (discarding marinade) and place on oiled rack on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 400-degree oven about 40 minutes or until chicken is fork tender, turning occasionally.
Meanwhile, prepare Mint Chutney and Mango Kachumbar.
For Mint Chutney:
Combine yogurt, honey, garlic, ginger, mint and cilantro in food processor. Process until smooth and blended. Place in small serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
For Mango Kachumbar:
In a large bowl combine mango, tomato, jalapeno, onion, cucumber, cilantro and mint.
In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and oil. Pour over mango mixture; tossing to coat.
To serve, arrange drumsticks on platter and serve with Mango Kachumbar and Mint Chutney, for dipping.
Makes 4 servings