Tandoori Chicken with Summer Chutney
- Yield 4 servings
- 8 -- chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala (such as McCormick's)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For Mint Chutney:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Mango Kachumbar:
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1 -- red jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 -- of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 -- of an English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
With a sharp knife make 3 or 4 deep slashes on each drumstick and place in sealable plastic bag.
In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, oil, garlic, ginger, paprika, Garam Masala, cumin, lemon zest and salt. Pour mixture over chicken and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Remove drumsticks from marinade (discarding marinade) and place on oiled rack on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 400-degree oven about 40 minutes or until chicken is fork tender, turning occasionally.
Meanwhile, prepare Mint Chutney and Mango Kachumbar.
For Mint Chutney:
Combine yogurt, honey, garlic, ginger, mint and cilantro in food processor. Process until smooth and blended. Place in small serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
For Mango Kachumbar:
In a large bowl combine mango, tomato, jalapeno, onion, cucumber, cilantro and mint.
In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and oil. Pour over mango mixture; tossing to coat.
To serve, arrange drumsticks on platter and serve with Mango Kachumbar and Mint Chutney, for dipping.
Makes 4 servings