- Yield: 8 servings
- teaspoon Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 3/4cups cold 2 percent lowfat milk, divided
- 3/4cup yellow stone-ground cornmeal
- 2tablespoons molasses
- 2tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/8teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 1large apple (any crisp, well-flavored variety except Granny Smith), finely chopped
- 1/2cup chopped pitted dates
- 2teaspoons eggs
- 2teaspoons egg yolks
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- teaspoon Vanilla ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Spray a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together 3 cups milk and cornmeal. Pour into casserole dish. (The mixture will separate, but don't worry.) Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes. Remove, whisk well, and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove; stir in molasses, maple syrup, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and 3/4 cup milk. Whisk well. Stir in apple and dates. Bake 40 minutes.
- Scoop out one ladleful of the pudding into a bowl and whisk in 1 cup milk. Add eggs and egg yolks and beat well. Pour back into the casserole while whisking lightly. Drizzle cream over top.
- Return pudding to the oven. Bake until set, but still quite jiggly in the middle, about 45 minutes. Let cool at least 1 hour, to room temperature. It will firm up as it cools.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 300
- Fat 11g
- Sodium 160mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 8g